Wednesday 21 December 2011

Our life has changed....

For the better of course!!

I'm not going to lie, we are both (or should I say all - dogs included) pretty darn tired these days.  I find that I try to get everything I can possibly get done in the amount of time Ethan sleeps.  Now, he does sleep about 3 hours at a time, but within that time, I am making or preparing dinner for night, pumping breast milk, tidying up and washing and sterilizing bottles and pumping equipment.  On top of that, I have to fit in eating, showering, doing my hair (that gets done once every three days - thank god my hair is now on the drier side!), running errands, etc....  it is true that a baby will change your life forever.  And I couldn't be happier.

I am, however, finding it easier every day to getting things done around the house and keeping up with housework and laundry and making dinner.  Unfortunately with all that, there isn't much time for rest, so sometimes my body physically won't do anything, and that's when I know I've done too much.  I have to learn to rest mid-day and take a nap.  I had no problem doing it when I was pregnant! I guess I have to just drop everything and think of myself one time during the day :)

In the last couple of days, Ethan has been more alert and wide eyed.  He is responding to different toys we put in front of him and is awake about 6 hours out of the day.  He still doesn't know the difference between day and night, but he is sleeping well when he does go down.  Every couple days, he is sleeping longer than the last.  And that is great until I wake up with engorgement :s

The health nurse came for a home visit yesterday.  He is now up to 8 lbs 12 oz.  So he only gained 3 oz since last Tuesday, but the nurse said she is not concerned because of the amount of weight he has gained since being out of the hospital.  We have our regular doctor appointment in the beginning of January, so we will see then where he is.  He has gained an inch in length since last Tuesday though, so I guess it kinda evens out.  He still fits into newborn clothing, but they are definitely coming to an end.  As a side note, it seems as though sleepers bought in the USA run a bit bigger than the ones here.

She checked his belly button and circumcision, and both of those are healing very well also.  I can't wait for his belly button to heal so we can start giving him a bath in his whale tub!  He is getting much better with the sponge baths though.  The last one there was zero screaming - I almost think he enjoyed it! He especially loves his head being washed under the faucet.  I guess it mimics feelings in the womb.

Anyway, it's time to tend to the peanut.  He is really digging the baby belly and leg massages!  It seems to help a bit with gas as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment